Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New project: Read All About It

I'm finally starting my first post-Expo project, having come down with a terrible cold followed by allergies right after Expo ended. Sis has an excuse too, but hers isn't very good.

So the new project is a top using this Katherine Tilton pattern (long sleeved version) I bought at Expo last year. I've already made it three times, so I know it fits beautifully and is very flattering. Unfortunately, since I've made it three times, I have had time to lose the pattern piece for the neckband. This means I will either have to fake it (not hard to do) or clean my sewing room (very hard to do).




The fabric I'm using is a poly/lycra I bought from Christine Jonson last year, called Read All About It. In real life it's much darker. And I'm sure you can spot a pitfall right off -- I'll need be careful that "BIG HOUSE GAINES" doesn't land on any part of my anatomy that I don't want to emphasize.



I'm also playing with a cool new toy. I bought some pattern making software at Expo, Wild Ginger's PatternMaster, and I'm getting ready to use it to make a "fit" dress in muslin. And once it's adjusted and fits correctly, I'm going to make it again in a heavy cotton with 0 easy to use as a cover for Dahlia the dressform.

Busy, busy, busy. Amazing what you can do once you tear yourself away from Skyrim.


BTW, have you all been watching Peggy Sagers's webcasts ? They are wonderful, hour long webcasts where Peggy generously shares valuable information (for free!), such as how to use a french curve. Sis and I "attended" last night's webcast on sleeves, in which Peggy explains how to use the french curve on an armhole in order to get your own personal numbers. Then you can apply these numbers to any new pattern you use to alter it to your perfect fit. This is the sort of thing I imagine design students learn, but for those of us with only a junior high school education in sewing it's all brand new and wonderful. Thank you, Peggy!

No comments: